This post covers installing ESXi 4.1 on a usb stick.
Start out by downloading:
- Lastest ESXi.iso found here at downloads.vmware.com.
- WinImage found here; WinImage Download.
- 7zip found here; 7zip download.
- Extract the VMware .iso file to a temp folder.
- Extract the “imagedd.bz2” from the extracted contents of the ISO.
How the folders look:
- Now open Winimage (run as administrator). Under “Disk” choose your USB drive, then select “Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive…”.
- Select your USB drive and click “ok”.
- Now select the “VMWare ESXi 4.1.ul.vhd” that you extracted earlier.
- Winimage should throw a warning, select “yes”.
- Once the installation is finished the server can now be booted from the USB stick.
Side Note: If you liked/disliked this blog please leave a comment! I want to know what you think!