This post is a guide to installing Print Manager Plus on a secondary print server. This print server was set up in a previous post, Setting up a Onyx RipCenter 10.1 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter.
Installing Print Manager Plus
- Start out by downloading “Print Manager Plus”. Click “Download Evaluation” and fill out the necessary information in the next step.
- After filling out the necessary information you will be redirected to a download page. Choose the second option “Print Manager Plus 2010 Single Server Edition”.
- Extract the .zip file that you just downloaded. Run the “Launch Main Install” application.
- Accept the “License Agreement”, hit “next” and “next” again.
- Choose “Full Setup” for the “Select Features” section, hit next.
- For “Select Database” section, it depends on the setup you have. If you already have a SQL server up choose “Use an existing instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or later”. If you don’t have a SQL server, select “Use SQL 2005 Express Database”. I’ll be using the first option.
- The next step will ask you to choose a SQL Server. Click “Browse” and locate the server you will be using. Click “ok” once you have located the “Database Server” you will be using. Click “Next”.
- The setup will go through “Looking up database”.
- If you database was detected then there will be a pop up stating “A database was detected”. Click “yes”.
Note: If you get an error that says “There was an error logging in to %s. Error: %s[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Specified SQL server not found. (6)”. Look at the troubleshooting section at the end of this post.
- You will be asked to enter your Account and Password for <yourPrintServer>.
- This should finish the set up of Print Manager Plus 2010, you will have to restart the VM.
Opening Ports for Print Manager Plus
- On your print server, open the “Control Panel” -> “Windows Firewall”.
- Hit “Advanced Settings” and click on “Inbound Rules”. Then click “New Rule…” on the right.
- A menu will pop up, we are opening ports, so select “Port” and hit next.
- In the text box near “Specific local ports” enter the ports that you will be opening. The ports that need to be opened for Print Manager Plus are 445, 48100, and 48101.
- Hit next until you get to the end. Give the rule a name, ” Print Manager Plus” and enter a description, “This rule was made to open ports 445, 48100, 48101 for Print Manager Plus”.
- Hit finish and Print Manager Plus will start recording jobs sent to the printers on your network automatically.
Running a Report
- Open “Print Manager Plus 2010” and navigate to the “Reports” tab. Click on “Server Reports” then click “Summary of all Servers”.
Troubleshooting “Print Manager Plus” SQL problem.
- Troubleshooting the error: “There was an error logging in to %s. Error: %s[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Specified SQL server not found. (6)”.
- When we cannot connect to SQL remotely there are 3 causes.
- SQL can have TCP/IP turned off.
- SQL can be listening on the wrong IP address.
- Local firewall (on onyx) or the firewall on the remote system (mprint1) is on and no exception set on mprint1, which was my problem.