This is a guide on setting up a HP DesignJet Z2100 44″ printer with Onyx RipCenter x10.1.
Connecting the key to a VM.
- Note: Because I’m installing to a virtual machine and Onyx requires a hardware key (USB), I’m using a Digi Anywhere USB\5 USB-to-Ethernet device.
- First Navigate to Drivers-AnyWhereUSB, and select operating system.
- Download the AnywhereUSB drivers from the Digi Download Site.
- Install the AnywhereUSB drivers.
- The AnywhereUSB setup will finish and the “AnywhereUSB Remote Hub Configuration Utility” should appear. In my case it automatically detected all of our USB hubs.
- Next it is necessary to get the sentinel drivers for the onyx hardware key. These can be found at HASP support and downloads. Download the “Sentinel HASP Run-time and Drivers setup”, it should be under “Top downloads for Windows”.
- Install this and your Sentinel key will now be recognized by the VM.
- You can now connect to the USB hub and it will be recognized. Select the USB hub and click “Connect”.
- Check that the device now says, “connected”.
Configuring the Server:
- Install the “File Services” and “Print and Document Services” roles. Here are the Role Services that I installed.
- Restart the VM for changes to take affect.
- Navigate to the Onyx Printer Install Files site and download the necessary printer install file.
- Next click “Downloads” and then “Products” then “Onyx RIP Version X10 and X10.1”.
- Also download the “Onyx Profile Download Client”. Click “drivers and profiles” -> “driver wizard”.
- Make sure you are installing from the console and not an RDP session or the hardware key won’t work.
- Go to the RipCenter zip file that you downloaded earlier and extract it. Then open the “Onyx X10 Download Manager” and download the remainder of RipCenter x10.1.
- Onyx will download into the folder you chose earlier , you will have to unzip the file that went into that folder as well.
- Ensure that the AnywhereUSB is connected before installing RipCenter x10.1, or you will get a key error. The key should be connected from earlier, the program will automatically run after installation. If it doesn’t click on “Start Menu” -> “All Programs” -> find “AnyWhereUSB” and run the “AnyWhereUSB Configuration Utility”.
- Click “setup.exe” in the RipCenter folder. This will bring up the RIPCenter 10.1 installation screen. Click Install.
- When its finished you should see a screen like this.
- Click “Finish”, a menu called “PrinterInstall 10” will pop up asking to install a printer. It’s actually looking for a “Printer Profile” (.prninst file), which we will have to install.
- Open the “OnyxPrinterProfileDMSetup.exe” that you downloaded earlier and proceed to install.
- Hit next a couple times and the installation will start. Click Finish when it is done installing.
- Open the “Start Menu” -> “All Programs” -> and find the “ONYX Printer & Profile Download Manager” folder. Open the “ProfileDownloadClient”.
- Using Version 10.1, find your printer and the program will display the available “profiles” that you can download. Choose the “profile” that matches (as close as possible) to the type of paper you will be using. Hit the “Download Now” button once you have made your decision.
- It will ask you where you would like to install it, choose a location. Then the program will ask what your hardware key number is, input the key number. This number should be printed onto your Onyx hardware key.
- It will finish downloading and creating the “.prninst” file. We can install a printer now that we have the profile. Open RIPCenter and “browse” to locate the “.prninst” file.
- Hit open. This will return you to the main screen we were just at. Check the printer that matches the one you are using. Click Install and launch the application, RIPCenter should open up.
- When RIPCenter opens, a menu will pop up asking to “Configure Printer Port”. I will be using “TCP/IP printer” option.
- Select your option and then click the “Configure…” button. Enter the IP the printer will be using and select “Data Type or Port Name:”, for this I chose “raw”.
- Hit ok and your printer should initialize. If the printer doesn’t initialize, then make sure you are connected to the printer and the drivers are updated. If you get an error that is something like “Failed to create Virtual Printer” make sure your “Print Spooler” Service is running. By default it is turned off.
- When everything is up and running it should look something like this.
Auto Login into Onyx
- Hit windows key + r, or start menu -> run. Type regedit into the text field.
- Expand “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Winlogon. You should see something like this.
- Change the “DefaultUserName” to <yourAccount> (for me its “service-onyx”). Change the “DefualtDomainName” to <yourDomain>.
- For the “DefaultPassword” create a new “string value”. Do this by right clicking the white area at the bottom of the “Registry Editor”. It will display “New” and select “String Value”.
- For the new “String Value” name it “DefaultPassword”. Double click it and assign it the logon password for <yourAccount> (for me its service-onyx).
- When the settings are how you like, change the AutoAdminLogon from value “0” to “1”. This will enable autologon.
- When everything is set up it should look something like this.
- Hit ok until you return to the desktop, restart the VM to see if changes worked.
Auto Starting RIPCenter on login
- I want RIPCenter 10.1 to start automatically every time I logon to the server. Add a RIPCenter.exe to the “startup” folder of the server.
- I would like to turn “automatically print” on/off for jobs sent to the printer. In the status menu to the right in RIPCenter, hit the “Change…” button.
- A menu will pop up, hit the “Setup” button.
- Another menu will pop up, at the top you should see the “Automatically start printing” option. Check the box if you DO want automatic printing.
How to enable automatic cutting
- In RIPCenter, click the “Configure Printer” button.
- This will throw a menu, select the “Media” tab and click “options”.
- This will open a “Printer Options” menu. By the “Media source” section, check the box “Enable cutter”.
- This will enable automatic cutting of the poster after it’s done printing.
Display Errors In Console
- To display all errors in console follow these steps.
- In RIPCenter, click “File” -> “General Settings”.
- A “General Settings” menu will pop up. In the lower right “Display” section, there should be a check box called “Only display errors in console”. Check this if you want errors displayed in console.
Adjust Dpi Settings
- To configure your printer to print with “Premium Quality” you need to adjust the “dpi” settings to a higher number. For example: 1200 dpi is a better quality than 600 dpi.
- Hit the “Configure Printer” button, this will open the configuration menu.
- This will open the “Configure Printer” menu. Under the “Quick Sets” tab, select “Standard Color Workflow” and click “Edit…”.
- This will bring up the “Edit Quick Set” menu. Under the “Media” section, in the category “Select Print Mode:” change your graphic level to your preference. I’ll be using “600 dpi, Best Graphics, Contone” for this section.
- Hit ok until you return to the main RIPCenter screen.